Looking for a specific recipe? Search here:

Friday, March 22, 2013

Lemon Scones

Among the many things I love to bake, muffins are close to the top of the list.  I make a good number of very delicious muffins that we enjoy regularly but must say, “Move over muffins” when it comes to a good scone.

The cream puff girl emailed a picture of some delicious looking coconut chocolate chip scones she had made this weekend stirring up a craving to bake up a batch myself.  As inviting as the picture was along with my love for coconut I chose instead to make a simpler scone for Sunday morning breakfast.

The Blueberry Scone recipe previously posted is a very good one but the time had come to adventure into something new. The abundance of  lemon scone recipes is impressive but my final choice includes buttermilk as an ingredient. The liter of buttermilk I had purchased earlier in the week for another recipe was definitely more than enough and this particular scone recipe was a good way to use the extra amount.

I prepared the dry ingredients the night before since there would be no time to fuss over measurements on Sunday morning.  In about five minutes I had measured out the dry ingredients, cut in the butter, covered and placed in the refrigerator overnight making sure to keep the butter cold.

It was not until the morning when checking the recipe for required wet ingredients that the only one on the list was buttermilk.

I suppose that in the excitement of finding a recipe that would use up some of my extra buttermilk I didn’t realize that it did not call for an egg.  Every other recipe I had come across required at least the addition of one egg. 

Dreading the error of ingredient omission in this new recipe I reluctantly proceeded.  All the while I was flipping through the recipe file in my mind for a breakfast backup idea had things not turned out well with the scones. If realized from the start that there was no egg listed I most likely would have made a different recipe choice. 

Not too sweet, crisp on the outside, tender on the inside and fragrantly lemon is the best I can do on the description but they are a must to try for yourself.   Perhaps anticipating a successful outcome for this recipe, I had also put together a little batch of crème fraiche the night before, definitely the best accompaniment with a good scone. 

An absolutely delightful Sunday breakfast!

Lemon Scones

2 cups all- purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup cold butter
½ cup buttermilk
1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon zest
milk to brush on tops of scones
coarse sugar to sprinkle on top of scones (optional)
  1. In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  2. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
  3. Add buttermilk and lemon peel and stir just until mixed.
  4. Turn onto a floured surface, knead gently until the mixture comes together, then shape into a ball.(mixture will look dry and crumbly at the start but will come together as it's kneaded.)
  5. On a greased or parchment lined baking sheet pat dough into an 8 ½ inch diameter round.
  6. Using a sharp knife cut into 8 wedges and separate them on the sheet.
  7. Brush the wedges with a little milk and sprinkle some coarse sugar over the tops.
  8. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
  9. Cool on wire rack.









 
 






Notes, Tips and Suggestions
  • If you don’t have coarse sugar regular granulated will do.
  • Preparing ingredients the night before makes light work the next morning.
  • The lemon flavor invites many other flavours to be added to this scone such as raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, poppy seeds etc.
  • Since this scone is not too sweet, a light lemon glaze consisting of confectioners’ sugar and enough lemon juice to make it a drizzling consistency will intensify the lemon flavour.
  • Scones are best eaten fresh out of the oven while still warm, just split open and add a pat of butter or crème fraiche.
  • Scones can be reheated if serving the next day by placing in a pan, covering with foil and heating until warmed.
  • If serving for an afternoon tea cut scones into 10 to 12 portions instead of the 8 larger and dust ever so lightly with confectioner's sugar before serving. 
  • Do not underestimate an egg-less recipe.
  • Creme Fraiche...delicious!!

4 comments:

  1. elizabeth, the cream puff girlMarch 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM

    These look delicious, I have to say! Query: I always cut my scones but tuck them close together again when baking. Is there a reason you kept them separate? Do they get more crispy? I do say, the only thing missing from this recipe is some ginger! I'll give you some ginger if you give me some creme fraiche!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some recipes instruct to cut the scones but leave the round intact. After baking, they are separated buy cutting them again.
    Other recipes cut them and separate them giving the scones a little room in between and then other recipes instruct to separate them entirely on the baking sheet.
    I find that giving them just a little room to bake and rise produces just the right crispiness along the edges and this is the method I prefer.

    Thanks so much but I do have some ginger in the pantry and I've already given you the recipe for creme fraiche! Does that makes us even?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am going to make these tomorrow morning!!!! I love scones and lemon is one of my favourites. How much ginger would you add Elizabeth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are in the oven as I type and my mouth is watering for them!!!!

    ReplyDelete